On 19 October 2021, an event concerning British citizen detained in Iran, Anoosheh Ashoori, was hosted at 33 Bedford Row Chambers. The event raised the situation of Anoosheh’s arbitrary detention as being a hostage taking situation, and discussed ways to confront state-sponsored hostage taking under the law and before the international community.
Speaking on the panel were:
- Sherry Izadi (Anoosheh’s wife)
- Janet Darby MP (MP to the Ashoori family)
- Nigel Edwards QC & Haydee Dijkstal (33 Bedford Row Chambers and members of his legal team which also includes Annahita Moradi)
- Kylie Moore-Gilbert (Australian / British academic previously detained in Iran)
- Nina Navid (Amnesty International)
Introduction: Elika Ashoori & Aryan Ashoori (Anoosheh’s children) introduced the event.
A recording of the event can be viewed on youtube.
Event details can be found on Eventbrite.